Centers of Excellence
Children’s offers a number of centers recognized for excellence in the specialized pediatric care provided within those programs. These centers of excellence set us apart as a leader in caring for the unique health care needs of children.
- Burn Center – a specialized six-bed unit that is the only pediatric burn center in the state and the largest in the southeastern U.S.
- Critical Care Transport – a specially trained staff of critical care nurses and respiratory therapists transport critically ill and injured children from hospitals around the United States back to Children’s so these youngsters can receive the most specialized care available. The CCT team travels via ground ambulance, jet and helicopter, and averages 1,000 transports each year.
- Lowder Blood and Marrow Transplantation Unit – a six-bed unit plus an outpatient clinic with specially-trained staff for patients undergoing bone marrow transplants for cancer, sickle cell and other blood disorders.
- Renal Care Center – the only pediatric kidney dialysis service in Alabama.
- Colonel Harland Sanders NICU – this state-of-the-art unit opened in 2009 and provides critical care for 48 newborn babies. It is named in honor of the Kentucky colonel whose foundation donated much of the funds needed for remodeling and expansion.
- Children’s divisions of pediatric urology, orthopedics, neurology and neurosurgery, nephrology, neonatology, cardiology and heart surgery, gastroenterology, diabetes and endocrinology, and cancer were recently named among the top programs in the country by U.S. News & World Report magazine.